ISWS Code of Ethics
Revised by the Board of Directors September 27, 2021
The purpose of this code is to set forth principles of practice endorsed by the Board of Directors of the International Silken Windhound Society for members as they strive to develop and preserve the quality of the breed. The code represents the minimum in ethical practices. To this end, the member agrees to:
- Abide by and uphold the principles of the Constitution and Bylaws of the International Silken Windhound Society (ISWS).
- Understand and abide by all rules and regulations of the International Silken Windhound Society.
- Accept and breed only to the Standard of the Breed as set forth by the ISWS, striving always to maintain the highest quality for the breed as outlined by the Standard.
- Abide by the Guidelines for Breeders of Silken Windhounds as set forth by the ISWS.
- Require that any agent, employee, or other person acting for the member comply with all principles outlined in this Code of Ethics.
- Provide the best possible environment for the physical and emotional well-being of dogs, including fully complying with local laws governing health inoculations, curbing of animals, and restraint and control of their actions on and off their home premises.
- Put the welfare of each dog above personal gain, profit and/or personal convenience, remembering that each dog (purchased, bred, or sold) is a lifetime responsibility.
- Make every effort to assist the novice and educate the public regarding the Silken Windhound and provide accurate information about their general upkeep, the maintenance of their well being, grooming, and training needs.
- Strive always to behave in a sportsmanlike manner and to refrain from misleading and false advertising, from maligning or giving false statements about dogs, breeding practices, or about other members of the International Silken Windhound Society.
- Support ethical trade practices and to sell only to responsible persons. To avoid at all costs, the wholesaling of litters of Silken Windhound puppies, the sale of breeding stock or individuals to pet shops or other commercial sources of distribution, and to never provide dogs for the purpose of raffle/lottery.
- For the welfare of the Breed, and the individual puppies produced, all litters with viable puppies should be registered with the ISWS, and the individual puppies should be registered as well.
- Treat posts to the ISWS Members list as confidential and for ISWS members only. Keep dialogue civil.
Nothing in this Code of Ethics should be construed to be in violation of the ISWS Bylaws, Constitution, Standing Rules of the ISWS, or Guidelines for Breeders of Silken Windhounds. Each individual applying for membership shall receive a copy of this Code of Ethics. By joining the International Silken Windhound Society, each member agrees to accept this Code of Ethics, the Standing Rules of the ISWS, and the Guidelines for Breeders of Silken Windhounds in their entirety.
Any documented violation of the Code of Ethics or Guidelines for Breeders of Silken Windhounds shall be dealt with as provided in the Constitution or Bylaws of the International Silken Windhound Society. Each member of the Society accepts the responsibility to protect the interests of the breed by conducting themselves in a manner designed to reflect credit upon them as an individual, the Silken Windhound breed, and on the International Silken Windhound Society.